Thursday, July 18, 2013

#EqualMarriage in the UK!



We now have Marriage equality in the UK. Both houses have discussed, and negotiated, and finally agreed - and Her Maj has signed my right to love whom I wish into law.

I still can't really believe it.


Whether you wish to marry or not, this is a momentous change for us all. If you are in any doubt as to just how big this little law is, all you need to do is to think about how far we have come in just my lifetime:

'Sodomy' was illegal when I was born in the 1960's - and homosexuality was still considered a mental illness when I was starting to discover my sexuality. There were no truly 'Out' celebrities when I was young - no positive role-models of what it might mean to be gay and 'happy' - and the very few gay performers who were visible were figures of ridicule and fun.

Clause 28 tried to 'protect' my 'impressionable' mind whilst I was still at school - keeping me from any meaningful representations that might have balanced the universal idea that 'gay = tragic and unhappy', just in case it might 'promote homosexuality' to me as a valid life choice, rather than a 'pretend relationship' (and in the process, also denying myself and my contemporaries access to the very information that might have made my coming-out process easier; without doubt, it also helped to foster the bullying culture where it was acceptable to pick on those like me who were a little bit 'artistic').

The bullying and self doubt was bad enough - but it was also that culture of unthinking homophobia that meant that my Mum cried when I finally came out to her: devastated, not because of my sexuality, but because she believed that as a gay man I would 'never be able to find happiness and love' (even whilst she told me that loved me and would always stand by me no matter what).

From there - to here.

In one generation we moved from a culture of ignorance, enforced LGBT invisibility and legalised homophobia - to one where being gay is no more worthy of comment than the colour of my hair or my taste in food...

And now, finally, we have reached a point where Parliament has recognised in law what society has already come to realise: that love and commitment are the same - regardless of gender, colour, creed - or sexuality.

This one little law is a huge step both to me and to our country; it finally means that my family, friends and community are able to celebrate what I have always known: that my love - and my 20+ year relationship with Geoff - is no less valid, no less loving, no less *Equal* than that of anyone else.

So, yes, you could say that I'm just a little bit pleased....!!!


Now - I guess that it might just be time to go buy that hat...


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations, my friend. Just - congratu-fucking-lations!

    ReplyDelete

i really appreciate receiving constructive comments - they will be added once i have had time to review them.

Please do not post offensive comments or spam, as these will be automatically deleted.

Related Posts with Thumbnails