Friday, March 04, 2011

"Just a dog...?"

The following was written by Christopher Costas - a very sexy photograper in Delaware.

He is speaking of a biological canine, but it perfectly expresses some of my own recurring themes of respect and companionship within pup-play, and so i had to write and ask Him if i could quote it here...

"'Just a dog...?'

From time to time people tell me: 'Lighten up, its just a dog' or, 'That's a lot of money for Just a dog.'  They just don't understand the distance traveled, time spent, or costs involved for 'Just a dog.'
Some of my proudest moments have come about with 'Just a dog'. Many hours have passed with my only company being 'Just a dog' - and not once have I felt slighted. Some of my saddest moments were brought about by 'Just a dog'. And in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of 'Just a dog' provided comfort and purpose to overcome the day.

If you, too, think its 'Just a dog' then you will probably also understand phrases like 'Just a friend', 'Just a sunrise', or 'Just a promice'. 'Just a dog' brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. 'Just a dog' brings out the compassion and patience that makes me a better person. Because of 'Just a dog' I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future.

For me and folks like me, it's not 'Just a dog'. It's an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. 'Just a dog' brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.

I hope that someday people can understand it's not 'Just a dog'. It's the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being 'Just a man'.

So the next time you hear the phrase 'Just a dog' - smile, because they 'Just Don't Understand'."

Beautiful and deeply moving words.

Interestingly, they also reflect the talk i had with my Handler, on our way back from Bournemouth.

He could tell that i had been feeling low, and that the little black monkey of self-doubt was creeping up onto my shoulder again. He knew it because i had slipped back into the habit of subconsciously belittling myself with 'just...' and 'only...' - using phrases about myself such as: 'What would i know: i'm just your dog...' and: 'i don't deserve You, i'm only a dog...'

He also knew it because i had cried when He held me and told me that He loved His dog.

His own command was that i must never think of myself as 'just' anything - that none of us is ever 'just':

"Each of us is special and unique and beautiful in their own right - and as my pup, you are more special than most. If you think of yourself as less than You are, You belittle me for placing value in you.

There is no need for adjectives - simply be - and be Proud."


And so i am Sir - simply and proudlyYOURS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

i really appreciate receiving constructive comments - they will be added once i have had time to review them.

Please do not post offensive comments or spam, as these will be automatically deleted.

Related Posts with Thumbnails